6:30 pm - 11:30 pm
210 - 128 West Hastings
Avocado aficionado? Have you ever wondered about how they were grown, or what it took to grow and deliver them to your plate? Discovery Organics, Fair Trade Vancouver, and Peacegeeks invite you to join a local community speaker event, featuring the voices of the very people responsible for bringing us our grocery avocados.
In Vancouver, the majority of our avocados come from the state of Michoacán, a region of Mexico known as the “avocado capital of the world,” which also happens to be a region that is seeing an increase in drug violence.
Avocados are a lucrative cash crop that can be appealing to drug cartels and other exploitive groups, making it challenging for small producers to operate in an economically and socially sustainable manner while maintaining access to domestic or international markets. In an effort to support each other, and to control the export process—including the growing, packing, and shipping of their crops—19 organic avocado producers formed the cooperative Pragor (Productores de Aguacate Organico) in 2001. Today, Pragor has more than 40 growers that work together to improve their production methods and increase market opportunities.
Pragor’s avocados are marketed and sold at fair prices under the Fairtrade certification system. The additional Fairtrade premiums that farmers earn have helped to improve their farms and have been invested in social projects to improve their communities.
Avocados from Mexico to Vancouver: Speaker Event
When: Wednesday, April 2, 6:30 pm
Where: HIVE Vancouver (128 W HASTINGS ST. SUITE 210)
6:30 – 6:50: Guac Talk – Meet and mingle around a bowl of guacamole
6:50 – 7:10: Introductions and Presentation of Fairtrade certification
7:10 – 7:50: Impact of Fair Trade and challenges of growing and importing
7:50 – 8:30: Q+A
– Julie Sage: Fairtrade Certification and Marketing manager, Discovery Organics — Formerly of Fairtrade France, Fairtrade International
– Rafael Rodriguez (Mexico): Consultant and Mexican Coordinator for Discovery Organics
– Gustavo Esquivel and Salvador Romero (Mexico): Avocado Grower/past President of PRAGOR Producers of Organic Avocados
– Brandon Rankin (New York): Director of Exchange/imports — Interrupcion New York, Argentina, Chile
– Randy Hooper (Vancouver): Managing Director, International Buyer – Discovery Organics
– Avery Gottfried (Vancouver): President of Fair Trade Vancouver
More information at www.meetup.com/FairTradeVancouver/events/172218482/