FUSE: Fake Plastic
8:00 pm - 1:00 am
750 Hornby Street
Vancouver Art Gallery celebrates its popular summer exhibitions with a glamorous and eclectic evening of music, visual arts and performances with an outdoor lounge.Fake Plastic, this summer edition of FUSE embraces, investigates and accentuates the love of popular culture in the 21st Century where everything can be anything. Additionally, a free outdoor performance will take place on Robson Street, offering the ultimate FUSE experience both inside and outside the Gallery space.
– Maiko Bae Yamamoto from Theatre Replacement will construct giant rainbow loom sculptures out of elastics with help from the FUSE audiences.
– Using her sewing machine which is wired to a keyboard, contact mics and loop pedals, Lisa Simpson will complete a costume during the course of the evening while creating other-worldly sounds.
– Special music guests: Vancouver-based band Cool, featuring indie luminaries such as Adrian Teacher, Amanda Pezzutto, and Shawn Mrazek, and Vancouver’s pop maestro Nicholas Krgovich.
– Emelia Symington Fedy from the Chop Theatre will reprise her popular one-on-one “fake therapy”, with an emphasis on “fake”.
– Interactive Fabric Art: Evelyn Roth’s 1970s wearable art costumes (knit from video tape and acrylic tricord) will be animated by MACHiNENOiSY’s Delia Brett and two dancers, while Evelyn mingles with the crowds wearing her Video Tape Warrior costume.
– An extravaganza of costume, headwear, and burlesque, Wiggle 20 celebrates the anniversary of drag fashion show and cabaret House of Venus.
– In conjunction with VIVA Vancouver, Vancouver-based artist Heidi Nagtegaal will facilitate an interactive weaving project on Robson Street.