5×15: 5 Speakers, 15 Minutes Each, Magic
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
319 Main Street
5×15: 5 Speakers, 15 Minutes Each. Magic.
With Naresh Fernandes, Patrick Stewart, Meeru Dhalwala, Amber Dawn and Jagdeep Mangat“5×15’s packed soirées feel like an evening of offline, communal surfing, it’s due as much to the eclectic menu of speakers as to the short time allotted to each…” – The New York Times
5×15 is a speakers series that originated in London, with the simple but brilliant format of five speakers, speaking for fifteen minutes each, on any topic they are truly passionate about. The only rules are, the talks should be unscripted, and no more (or less) than fifteen minutes. The series now happens on a monthly basis in London, New York and Milan.
Indian Summer Festival’s second edition of 5×15 brings the series back to Vancouver, with five brilliant local and international storytellers:
– Award-winning journalist Naresh Fernandes on the global media landscape in “The Times They Aren’t a-Changin’”
– Restaurateur Meeru Dhalwala (co-owner of Vij’s) outlines the sustainable, health-friendly protein of the future in “The Edible Insect”
– Architect Patrick Stewart of the Nisga’a First Nation speaks about aboriginal culture, colonialism, and his punctuation-free 52,000 words PhD thesis in “Grammatical Resistance”
– Writer Amber Dawn speaks of her personal journey to literature in “How Poetry Saved My Life”
– Lawyer & activist Jagdeep Mangat, subject TBA