Let’s face it, the gym is no fun when everyone is at the beach. So why not join a recreational sports league instead?
A lot of them are open to all abilities and they’re a great way of getting outside – maybe even to the beach – and meeting some new friends to socialize with afterwards.
Here’s a rundown of some of the fun sports leagues you can join in Vancouver this summer:
- What: Urban Rec is the best known fun sports league in Vancouver – they cover a myriad of different sports all year round. Teams are co-ed and all abilities are welcome. Leagues still open for registration include beach volleyball, flag football and softball.
- Price: Range from $63 to $135 for different activities, and different league lengths.
- More: vancouver.urbanrec.ca
- What: UBC REC hosts 7-on-7 men’s and women’s soccer at UBC’s Thunderbird Stadium from May to August. All games are on Wednesday evenings between 7 and 10 p.m., making this league perfect for those who need an after-work escape from the office.
- Price: $850 for 10-11 games.
- More: recreation.ubc.ca
- What: The VCS League includes two seasons, each with an ice-breaker tournament and playoffs held at Riverway Sports Complex, featuring a beer garden, DJ music, and catered food. All games are played at fields in Burnaby and New Westminster.
- More: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to vcsleague.com
- What: Volleyball isn’t just for the beach. The TFC Volleyball summer Grass League offers play four times a week at several locations. The league starts with short mini matches for seeding, followed by eight weeks of round robin ladder and a 10th week for playoffs.
- Price: Ranges from $170 to $340, depending on league.
- More: tfcvolleyball.com
- What: The Blue Heron Lawn Bowling League is an inclusive, non-competitive, LGBTQ & friends league at the Stanley Park Lawn Bowling Club. New members enjoy free lessons. Play is on a drop-in basis every Thursday night and drop-in BBQs are every Friday.
- More: facebook.com/blueheronlawnbowling
- What: Volleyball BC runs a huge number of different spring and summer leagues in six different categories, ranging from men’s beach 2’s to co-ed beach 6’s. Games are played between May and August.
- Price: Varies hugely from $125 to 680 depending on location and league
- More: volleyballbc.org