Premier announces more funding for Gangs and Guns strategy

Comments
Twitter / @Jillreports

Premier Christy Clark says the Province will be contributing $23 million to funding aimed at combating gang violence in B.C.

At a press conference in Surrey, the Premier noted the problem is not just one affecting Surrey, and that it trickles into the rest of the Province.

On Thursday, Surrey’s top cop, Bill Fordy, pledged the RCMP WILL stop the violence.

There have been 32 shootings in Surrey so far this year.

This isn’t the first time a Premier has ventured into Surrey to announce a major plan to fight gang violence.

“You are not welcome in our province. You are not welcome on our streets.”
On February 13th, 2009, 7 years ago, then-Premier Gordon Campbell unveiled a 7-point plan to fight escalating gang violence.

Said Campbell to a cheering crowd in Surrey.

“We have had it with gangs. We are going to rid our streets of gangs. We are going to drive gangs out of the province of B.C. and our streets are there for the people that live here in safe, secure communities.”

The province-wide plan included the hiring of 168 more police officers, 10 more Crown prosecutors, the outlawing of armoured vehicles and body armour, a new gang hotline to phone in tips, and a reward program.

Around the Web

About the author

Author Avatar
CKNW AM 980 CKNW News Talk 980 is Vancouver's news, Vancouver's talk - and a guest author for Vancity Buzz. Find them at AM980 and www.cknw.com.
@CKNW

Facebook Conversations

BACK TO TOP
BACK TO TOP