The Insurance Bureau of Canada recently released a report detailing the top ten most stolen vehicles in B.C., and Ford seems to dominate the list.
The most stolen car in the province is the 2004 Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup truck.
Vehicles are stolen for a number of reasons, according to IBC, including:
- To sell either abroad or locally to unsuspecting customers
- As a mode of transportation (what we know as “joyriding”)
- To commit another crime – most vehicles used for this purpose are recovered within 48 hours, usually badly damaged.
Car thefts cost Canadians $1 billion a year, including $542 million for insurers to fix or replace stolen vehicles and another $250 million in court costs, police, and healthcare.
The top 10 most stolen vehicles list is based on actual insurance claims data for each province.
Here is the list of the most stolen cars in B.C.:
- 2004 Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup truck
- 2000 Honda Civic two door coupe
- 2006 Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup truck
- 2006 Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup truck
- 2005 Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup truck
- 2007 Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup truck
- 2005 Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup truck
- 2001 Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup truck
- 2010 Buick Enclave / Saturn Outlook four door 2WD SUV
- 2007 Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup truck