With the low Canadian dollar, Vancouver streets are lined with tourists from all over the world, and many of those visitors hail from the United States. What makes Vancouver so attractive to our friends south of the border, however, isn’t just the exchange rate or our proximity.
A recent survey asked 15,000 Americans from California and Washington why they want to visit Vancouver, and the answers are as varied as beautiful scenery and possible U.S. election results.
Vancouver travel partner beVancouver conducted the survey and determined that the number one reason why Americans want to visit Vancouver is because of the beauty of our city.
A total of 21 per cent of all respondents named that reason as why they might visit the city and 17 per cent said Vancouver was the top travel destination on their list.
Furthermore, one-tenth of those Americans want to visit Vancouver to visit family and friends and 12 per cent want to visit simply to see Stanley Park. Overall, Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium and English Bay Beach were the top three attractions visitors want to check out.
The city also appears to be attractive for our zen approach to life.
“Many respondents wish to visit Vancouver based on their perceptions of the city as a green, healthy city. People discussed their desires to connect with nature, eat natural and healthy food, and take a mental health break away from stresses of their daily lives,” said beVancouver.
They might also be escaping a questionable political future in the U.S., as one per cent of those surveyed said they would move to Vancouver if Donald Trump won the next Presidential election.
But the mass majority of answers were related to Vancouver’s beautiful scenery and outdoor activities, including skiing at Whistler. What can we say, it sounds like these Americans have good taste.
Some people’s responses included quotes like: “I’m an LA girl but I love nature, the cold weather as well as the city life. I believe Canada is one of the last treasures in our world. I would love to visit Vancouvers historical buildings, China town, yummy food spots and your amazing parks.”
“It’s a beautiful city and I want my husband & kids to experience it and fall in love with the city the way I did four years ago.”
And: “I want to visit Vancouver to shop at small businesses along Main Street, and on Granville Island.”
Top reasons why Americans want to visit Vancouver:
- 21% of survey respondents wanted to experience the beauty of the City.
- 17% of respondents marked the City as their top destination they most want to visit
- 12% of all respondents wanted to explore Stanley Park.
- 10% of the survey respondents wanted to visit family and old friends.
- 9% of respondents had heard from their social network that Vancouver was a great City and wanted to experience it firsthand for themselves.
- 8% of respondents wanted to explore the Mountains and Ocean and wilderness of Vancouver.
- 7% of respondents wanted to take a vacation and leverage the strength of the US dollar and choose Vancouver as a place to get a memorable experience for less.
- 5% of respondents expressed desire to experience the local culture, nightlife and explore the top restaurants.
- 4% of respondents wanted to surprise their wife/husband with a vacation and explore Vancouver as part of an upcoming Wedding anniversary.
- 3% of respondents wanted to explore Whistler (less than 2 hours away from Downtown Vancouver) for skiing opportunities.
- 3% of respondents wanted to visit Vancouver for Downtown shopping explore Robson Street and Downtown.
- 1% of American respondents stated they would like to move to Vancouver if Donald Trump would be voted in as the next US President.