TransLink is asking passengers to expect scheduled delays all day throughout the Labour Day long weekend, from Saturday to Monday, to allow maintenance crews to resume another phase of the ongoing rail replacement project.
Passengers using the SkyTrain Expo and Millennium lines should allow 20 minutes in extra travel time during all operating hours of the long weekend.
“We want to keep our valued customers moving while the rail replacement work is underway, and we’re doing everything we can to keep people moving while the repair work is done,” said Colleen Brennan, TransLink Vice-President Communications and Customer Experience, in a statement.
Major sections of aging rail up to 30 years old, totalling 4,550 linear metres of rail, need to be replaced at three main locations. Last weekend, crews replaced about 950 linear metres of rail near Edmonds Station, and despite the high winds and system disruptions from falling trees and branches the project was completed on schedule.
This weekend’s rail replacement work will occur on the S-curve between Commercial-Broadway and Main Street-Science World stations, the oldest section of the Expo Line.
Weekend 2: Labour Day Weekend
- When: Saturday, September 5 to Monday, September 7, all day
- Expected delays and disruptions:
- Expo and Millennium Line service will be reduced, while crews replace rail west of Commercial-Broadway Station. Trains will single track at Commercial-Broadway and Main Street-Science World stations.
- Millennium Line will operate between VCC-Clark and Columbia stations only.
- A frequent bus shuttle will operate between VCC-Clark, Main Street-Science World and Stadium-Chinatown stations from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. Millennium Line customers travelling into or out of downtown Vancouver in the afternoon should consider using this bus service.