It seems like summer in Vancouver is nothing but a fond memory. Rain clouds blot out the sun, chill winds are blowing in across the ocean, and, as always, it’s impossible to tell if you should actually dress for rain. Maybe it’ll be 20 degrees this afternoon. Then won’t you feel stupid? Alleviate some of that uncertainty with a few things happening around the city today.
As always, check out the Vancity Buzz Events Calendar for more.
- What: The new season of Vancouver’s best variety show begins tonight. Featuring some of the most talented – and most diversely talented – people in Vancouver, real and fictional, it’s a show that you won’t want to miss. And if you do want to miss it, then what are you doing reading the entry for it, anyways?
- Where: The Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, September 3; 8 p.m.
- What: Looking for music that will kick a big, bloody hole where your ears should be (in a good way)? Look no further. The Eagles of Death Metal soar into the Commodore Ballroom tonight, with enough power chords and handlebar moustaches to make your mom lock her car doors.
- Where: The Commodore Ballroom – 918 Granville Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, Saturday 3; 9:30 p.m.
- What: The annual celebration of the Latin American film community comes to Vancouver again. From tonight until September 13, check out showings from up-and-coming creators making a splash in the scene.
- Where: Various venues
- When: Thursday, September 3 to Sunday, September 13; Various times
- What: An evening of dance at the Roundhouse Community Centre, presented by Dance Co. Witness the ancient and beautiful art of ballet, performed before your very eyes. Also, there’s ice cream there.
- Where: Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre – 183 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, September 3; 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- What: Canadian comedy heavy-hitter Kevin Foxx comes to the Comedy Mix tonight. A touring headliner with decades of experience in stand-up comedy, this guy knows his stuff. Along with co-features Erica Sigurdson and Gavin Matts, going to this show just makes financial sense. It’s easily $1000 worth of comedy for only $15. I did the math.
- Where: The Comedy Mix – 1015 Burrard Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, September 3; 8:30 p.m.