The weekend is here. Cast of the yolk of the work week, and stride boldly forward into sweet, sweet freedom. Celebrate your new found – if temporary – liberty, with a few of the rad things happening in Vancouver today.
Check out the Vancouver Events Calendar for more.
- What: During the prohibition on alcohol in the 1917, bootleg and contraband hooch ran through Vancouver’s underworld ankle-deep. This 90 minute walking tour will educate you on the people who turned the city into a hive of scum and villainy, like corrupt mayor L.D. Taylor, brutal crime boss Joe Celona, and showgirl Yvonne DeCarlo. You’ve never seen Vancouver like this.
- Where: Starts in Cathedral Square, at the intersection of Dunsmuir Street and Richards Street
- When: Friday, September 11; 7 p.m.
- What: This one is an easy sell – Graham Clark is simply one of the best – if not the best – Canadian comics working today. He headlines the Comedy Mix tonight, with Steph Tolev and host Chris Gordon. He’s a hero of Vancouver comedy. Don’t miss out.
- Where: The Comedy Mix – 1015 Burrard Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, September 11; 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- What: The debut film from Indian director Chaitanya Tamhane, following the experiences of a folk singer charged with abetting a man’s suicide. There’s a lot of buzz surrounding Tamhane, so keep your eyes open.
- Where: Vancity Theatre – 1181 Seymour Street, Vancouver
- When: 8:30 p.m.
- What: Part of Vancouver’s Fringe Festival, Blackbird follows the relationship – past and present – between a young woman and an older man. The Telegraph called it “an extraordinary, no-holds-barred drama that both chills and thrills.” Sounds pretty good to me.
- Where: The Culture Lab at The Cultch – 1895 Venables Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, September 11; 10:05 p.m.
- What: The name says it all really. Vancouver’s biggest gathering of jewelry makers and bead enthusiasts takes place today until September 13 at the Croatian Culture Centre. Sinking your hands into a big bucket of fresh beads, money and handmade jewelry changing hangs every where you look, experiencing the very cutting edge of bead technology: there’s simply nothing else like it.
- Where: Croatian Culture Centre – 3250 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: Friday, September 11 to Sunday, September 13