From August 16 to 22, Canada’s top bars and restaurants are celebrating National Rum Week with Flor de Caña. Throughout the week, bartenders across the country will mix up their finest rum libations to showcase the versatility and quality of this beloved sugarcane-based spirit.
Many of Vancouver’s bars and restaurants are participating with creative rum menus, rum specials and other rum-related festivities. Here’s a list of National Rum Week venues in Vancouver so you can get in on the action.
And if you’re feeling extra adventurous, try mixing up my tiki-style “Malahat” cocktail at home. Or Cooper Tardivel’s “Summer Fling” from Hawskworth Restaurant at the Georgia Hotel.
- 1.5 Flor de Caña 4 yo Rum
- 0.5 Domain de Canton Ginger
- 0.25 oz Cherry Liqueur
- 0.5 oz Orgeat
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1.0 oz Lime Juice (hand-pressed; save shell)
- Shake all ingredients, and strain into a 12 oz glass filled with crushed ice.
- Float 0.5 oz Flor de Caña 7 yo Rum on top.
- Fill lime shell with 151 proof rum and cinnamon sugar, and set on fire (always use caution when working with an open flame).
- 2.o oz Flor de Caña 4yr
- 1.0 oz Fresh Watermelon Juice
- 0.5 oz Strawberry Syrup
- 0.20 oz Yuzu Juice
- 0.20 oz White Balsamic Vinegar
- Shake and double strain to a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with pickled watermelon.
National Rum Week in Vancouver
Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar
Address: 845 Burrard Street
Address: 428 Carrall Street
Address: 801 West Georgia Street
The Reef (Commercial Dr. and Main St. locations)
Address: 1018 Commercial Drive
Address: 4172 Main Street
The Shameful Tiki Room
Address: 4362 Main Street
UVA Wine & Cocktail Bar
Address: 900 Seymour Street