Following the spirit of Vancouver 2010, the Torch Relay for the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games will be making its way through the streets of Metro Vancouver this weekend.
On Sunday, June 14, the Pan American Flame Torch Relay begins its 16th day with a visit to Grouse Mountain. From the peak, the Flame will make its way back into the city with stops at Stanley Park and Jack Poole Plaza, the site of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Cauldron.
The Flame will then arrive at Richmond’s Steveston Community Centre, where free public celebrations and a free barbecue are planned. Shortly after, Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site will be another stop on the route before it arrives by rowboat at Richmond Olympic Oval where more free public celebrations await, including a performance by Canadian singer Nikki Yanofsky.
Local Olympic gold medalists Ashleigh McIvor DeMerit and Simon Whitfield are among the list of torchbearers for the relay through the region.
This one-day leg in Metro Vancouver will be the Torch Relay’s only West Coast stop during its 41-day tour of Canada, mainly within southern Ontario where the Games are being held.
The Pan American Flame was lit on May 30 at the pyramids of Teotihuacan, Mexico and by the time it arrives at Toronto’s Rogers Centre for the Opening Ceremony, it would have been carried by about 3,000 people and completed a 20,000 kilometre journey.
Over 6,000 athletes from 41 participating nations in the Americas will be participating in the Toronto 2015 Games. A total of 346 events in 36 sports are scheduled between July 10 and July 26. About $2.6 billion will be spent to host the games in the Toronto region.
2015 Pan American Games Torch Relay in Metro Vancouver
- When: Sunday, June 14
- Torch Relay Route and Schedule:
- 11:30 a.m. Peak of Grouse Mountain
- 12:30 p.m. Stanley Park, Vancouver (Torchbearer: Ashleigh McIvor)
- 1:30 p.m. Jack Poole Plaza, Vancouver
- 5:15 p.m. Steveston Community Centre, Richmond
- 5:25 p.m. Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site, Richmond
- 6:15 p.m. UBC Rowing Club, Richmond (arrives by rowboat)
- 7:00 p.m. Richmond Olympic Oval, Richmond (Torchbearer: Simon Whitfield)
Steveston Community Centre Celebration
- Where: Steveston Community Centre (4111 Moncton Street, Richmond)
- When: 4 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, June 14
- 4:15 p.m. Performance by the marimba percussion band, Kutapira
- 4:30 p.m. Free BBQ presented by the Steveston Community Society
- 5:15 p.m. First Torchbearer departs
- What: Games, face painting, free BBQ, Torch Relay
Richmond Olympic Oval Celebration
- Where: Richmond Olympic Oval (6111 River Road, Richmond)
- When: 4 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, June 14
- 5:05 p.m. Citizenship Ceremony
- 7:00 p.m. Flame arrival and Community Cauldron Lighting Ceremony
- 7:25 p.m. Nikki Yanofsky performance
- Meet Pachi the Porcupine, the official mascot of Toronto 2015
- Performances by Phase III Steel Drummers, Tropicana, Mariachi Del Sol, Top Line Vocal Collective and Nikki Yanofsky
- Food Trucks
Vancity Buzz’s coverage of the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games
is presented by McKesson Canada.