The first slate of tickets for this summer’s massive 1,000-foot-long slip-and-slide in North Vancouver are now on sale.
The Slide the City attraction, approved by North Vancouver City Council in late-March, is scheduled to occur on Saturday, August 22 along Lonsdale Avenue from Victoria Park at Keith Road and ending down the hill at a splash pool on 3rd Street.
According to organizers, the four-block-long section of Lonsdale Avenue has a grade of between 9 and 10 per cent, which is a shallower grade than the 12 per cent slope at last year’s inaugural event on Salt Lake City’s Main Street.
“We have a minimum of three per cent and a maximum of 15 per cent, and Lonsdale does not exceed any of those,” Slide The City Event Director Rachel Thomas told City Councillors in March. “So we have taken those precautions to ensure they won’t be speeding down excessively.”
The water used on the slip-and-slide will be treated with chlorine and recirculated throughout the day using pumps and hoses from the bottom of the slide to the top of the slide. The slide itself has inflated edges to keep participants inside the tubes as well as a one-inch thick polyethylene foam cushion underneath the slipping surface to ensure the ride downhill is smooth and comfortable.
As another safety precaution, all sliders will be given a mouthguard and inflatable inner tube for making their descent.
‘Single Slider’ wristband prices for Slide the City begin at US$15.00 during the early bird registration phase ending this Saturday, rising to US$20.00 for regular registration and US$30.00 on the day of the event.
For those looking to make additional descents down the hill, ‘Triple Slider’ and ‘Unlimited Slider’ wristbands are also available for purchase.
Wristband passes can be purchased on the company’s website. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Canadian Cancer Society.
The one-day colossal slide in North Vancouver is a part of the municipality’s Car Free Day festivities. As many as 15,000 people are expected to be at Lower Lonsdale to participate as a slider or spectate the sliding.
Utah-based Slide the City hopes to bring their attraction to other Canadian cities this summer, including Nanaimo, Kamloops and Edmonton. The slip-and-slide has already received necessary approvals from local municipal governments in Calgary (August 1-2) and Montreal (August 15).
Slide the City North Vancouver 2015
- Date: Saturday, August 22, 2015
- Time: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. (to be finalized)
- Location: Along Lonsdale Avenue, with starting point at Victoria Park (Keith Road)
- Tickets (wristbands):
- Early Bird Registration by May 22, 2015: Single Slider – US$15.00; Triple Slider – US$30.00; Unlimited Slider – US$50.00
- Regular Registration by August 8, 2015: Single Slider – US$20.00; Triple Slider – US$35.00; Unlimited Slider – US$55.00
- Late Registration by August 21, 2015: Single Slider – US$25.00; Triple Slider – US$40.00; Unlimited Slider – US$60.00
- Day of Registration by August 22, 2015: Single Slider – US$30.00; Triple Slider – US$45.00; Unlimited Slider – US$65.00
- Website and ticket purchase: http://www.slidethecity.com/events/northvancouver/
Start line (looking south – downhill)
Finish line (looking north – uphill)