Mothballs found mixed with candy in Port Moody food bank hampers

Comments
mothball-e1430401208631-878x494

The Fraser Health Authority has issued a warning for residents in the Tri-Cities, Belcarra and Anmore, stating that mothballs were accidentally mixed in with candy in hundreds of food bank hampers from the Share Family and Community Services Food Bank in Port Moody.

The camphor mothballs were found in over 1,100 food hampers distributed from the Port Moody food bank over the last two weeks. Now, the health authority is asking all families who may have received the hampers to “immediately discard the candy containers by placing the items in a bag before putting them in the garbage.”

The identified candy mixture should be kept away from children and pets and not consumed.

Fraser Health says they are working with the food bank to identify and contact the individuals who picked up the tainted hampers. They ask anyone who may have ingested the mothballs to immediately call Drug and Poison information Centre at 604- 682-5050 or 1-800-567-8911.

Ingestion of camphor can cause the following symptoms:

  • Irritation and burning of the mouth and throat
  • Abdominal discomfort
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Shortness of breath

Around the Web

About the author

Author Avatar
Jill Slattery Jill Slattery was born and raised in Vancouver, where she also earned an Arts degree from UBC in English and Creative Writing. She is an avid TV-watcher and a shameless Taylor Swift fangirl. Jill is a Staff Writer at Vancity Buzz. Contact her at jill@vancitybuzz.com
@jillslattery

Facebook Conversations

BACK TO TOP
BACK TO TOP