The 87th Annual Academy Awards, or “The Oscars” as they’re more commonly known, take place on Sunday, February 22 and there’s no better way to take in the glitz and glamour than by hosting your own Oscars viewing party.
Whether you’re entertaining for one or 100, it’s important to get your Oscars party started right with a cocktail fit for Hollywood royalty. To make things super simple on the big night, I suggest preparing a few things ahead of time. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to create a red carpet-worthy cocktail — and how you can make sure it truly shines.
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce your “stars” for the evening:
- Pineapple Juice: While using a store-bought product certainly does save time on preparation, I recommend juicing a fresh pineapple if you’re able. Your critics will know if it’s the real deal!
- Lime Juice: This one has to be fresh. Pre-bottled lime juice is way too acidic, and is filled with preservatives that will drastically throw off the balance of your cocktail. For reference, one fresh lime usually yields about one ounce of juice.
- “Runny Honey”: This is a very simple process — combine one part quality honey (I like to get mine from the Honeybee Centre in Surrey) with one part boiled water, and allow to cool.
- Cassis: I highly recommend using Okanagan Spirits Blackcurrant Liqueur (available at Legacy Liquor Stores). This liqueur will also make a perfect Kir Royale, and is one heck of an addition to vanilla ice cream. Now you’re set for your second-course cocktail, and your dessert — you’re welcome!
- Havana Club Añejo 3 Años: This rum is easy to find, and widely available at BC Liquor Stores. Pick up a full 750mL bottle, because a little extra rum is never a bad thing.
- Water: Since this cocktail is stirred and not shaken, we need to simulate the dilution process by adding a bit of water. Without it the ingredients will overpower one another, as stars often do. Such divas!
- Sparkling Wine: While using the highest quality sparkling wine isn’t necessary whatsoever, finding one that’s dry is essential. I recommend Haywire “The Bub” from Okanagan Crush Pad Winery. This is a perfect bubbly, and one that won’t hurt the wallet either.
Now that you have your ingredients sorted out, you’ll need to make sure your glassware is up to snuff. I suggest ditching the plastic and making a quick trip to the thrift shop where you can often find the most amazing vintage glassware. Some one-of-a-kind champagne flutes will add some real panache to your Oscars cocktail.
And now you’re ready for your time in the spotlight. Follow the steps below for your perfect Oscars cocktail, and be prepared for this one to be a real show-stealer.
The Oscars Cocktail:
Yields 10 servings
Photo courtesy Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar
- 10 oz Pineapple Juice
- 5 oz Lime Juice
- 5 oz Runny Honey (2.5 oz honey; 2.5 oz water)
- 5 oz Okanagan Spirits Blackcurrant Liqueur
- 10 oz Havana Club Añejo 3 Años
- 5 oz Water
- 20 oz Haywire “The Bub”, Okanagan Crush Pad Winery
- 1 handful fresh mint
- Combine all ingredients, except sparkling wine and mint, in a two-litre juice jug (almost everyone has one of these kicking around).
- Stir thoroughly, and refrigerate for up to two days in advance.
- Before serving, stir once more, and divide evenly into 10 champagne flutes.
- Carefully top up each cocktail with sparkling wine.
- Garnish with a freshly plucked mint leaf and serve immediately. Cheers, and enjoy!