Crown prosecutors on Friday alleged a Victoria mother placed broken pieces of glass in baby food and had her eight-month old eat the contents as part of a plan to sue the food company for money.
According to the Times Colonist, this occurred on August 21, 2012 – the same day the infant child was brought to hospital. 24-year-old Rayanne Longhurst told doctors her son had “accidentally” consumed glass, a situation that was confirmed after X-rays were taken of the abdomen.
Fortunately, the infant’s digestive system passed the glass – no surgery was required. Two pieces of glass were found in the stool of the child, but there was also some bleeding in the colon.
The child went under the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development. Longhurst was forced to leave the premises, although hospital records indicate she refused to leave without the baby food jar and the pieces of glasses as she needed the evidence to sue the company.
Longhurst pleaded guilty to aggravated assault by endangering the life of her son, reports the Times Colonist. During the sentencing hearing held on Friday, it was also revealed in court that just a year prior to the incident involving the son, Longhurst’s eight-month-old daughter was admitted into hospital for ingesting glass from a baby food container.
The daughter escaped the medical condition unscathed while Longhurst and her partner sued the food company and settled outside of court for an amount of $22,000. However, there are no allegations at this time that the first incident involving the daughter was intentional.
Defence lawyer Marie Morrison claims Longhurst suffers from depression, has significant cognitive impairment and struggles with following her medication schedule.
The sentencing hearing will continue on December 23.
Feature Image: Baby mother via Shutterstock