15 Classic Neon Signs in Vancouver (PHOTOS)

Comments
stanley-theatre-neon

Neon signs beckon us to businesses, entertainment, places, or ideas. They’ve long shone brightly on the streets of Vancouver, and play such a colourful role in our local history there’s even an entire museum exhibit dedicated to them. Some are legendary for their shape, their size, or simply their mere survival. Many neon signs have found new life with upgrades, while others come with their own stores of salvation.

At one point, there were 19,000 neon signs in the city – a number far greater than Los Angeles and even Las Vegas.

While there have been some bright new neon additions to our cityscape in recent years, we’re taking a look at 15 of Vancouver’s long-lasting lights that you can still see today.

The Woodward’s W

woodwards-sign-1938
The Woodward’s Department store beacon, c. 1938 (Photo via Vancouver Archives)

Famously demolished in 2006 and redeveloped, the Woodward’s building in the Downtown Eastside was known for its giant “W” beacon (eventually installed on the top of an Eiffel Tower spire) on the rooftop. The original “W” came down more gently than the building and now sits behind glass on the site, while a replica was hoisted onto the roof.

W-woodwards-2006
The original W in 2006, awaiting a decision on its placement (Campbell via Flickr)

Helen’s children’s clothing (now the Heights)

helens-original-sign
Helen’s original sign (Mark Allerton via Flickr)

Helen Arnold opened her eponymous children’s clothing store in Burnaby in 1948, and her sign, complete with a girl moving back and forth on a swing, was installed in 1955. Although the store is long gone, the neighbourhood had the sign refit to reflect its name, Burnaby Heights, subbing Heights out for the original Helen’s, and the swinging girl was officially named Helen.

heights-restored-sign
Helen’s sign converted to read Heights (Josué Menjivar via Flickr)

The Only Sea Foods restaurant

the-only-seafoods-sign
Wayne via Flickr

It was curtains for The Only restaurant not too long ago, but the sign hasn’t given up the ghost. It was the first part of an ongoing restoration and renewal project by the Portland Hotel Society to bring new life into what was once one of the city’s longest surviving eateries. We’re still waiting to see what is born anew of The Only.

The Astoria Hotel

astoria-hotel-vancouver
Vancouver Heritage Society via Flickr

Many a pint has been swilled at the Astoria over several decades, and this eclectic venue and watering hole has managed to stay afloat with aplomb, over many incarnations over many years. Its neighbour was Ted Harris’ paint shop, with its own iconic “PAINT” neon sign, and their neighbour was Wallace Neon, the starting point for many a well-known Vancouver sign.

Smilin’ Buddha Cabaret

smilin-buddha-cabaret
Wendy Cutler via Flickr

The Smilin’ Buddha Cabaret and its girlie show is no more, but this sign is still viewable at the Museum of Vancouver. It’s so recognizably Vancouver, too, that for a while the MOV was using the image for merchandise, which didn’t sit well with the family of the club’s owner. Legal battles aside, the Smilin’ Buddha sign is a great rescue story and emblem of an era gone by in local life.

Vogue Theatre

vogue-theatre
François Péladeau via Flickr

A live music venue since it opened its doors in 1941, The Vogue Theatre‘s artistic neon has been beloved by Vancouverites for decades. This “graceful reminder of the Vancouver of old” is located on Granville Street, and is one of the city’s remaining establishments from the original “Theatre Row.”

Ovaltine Cafe

ovaltine-cafe-neon
I am I.A.M. via Flickr

Diners don’t get much more classic than The Ovaltine on East Hastings, one of the few of its kind surviving in Vancouver. Opened in 1942, behind all that dazzling neon is a venerable cafe with cheap greasy spoon breakfasts that ranks among the oldest restaurants in town. The lettering was installed in 1943 by Wallace Neon, and the vertical sign went up in 1948.

Yale Hotel

yale-hotel-neon-sign
Christopher Paulin via Flickr

Despite a major modern makeover, the Yale Hotel left local music lovers singing the blues when word got out the owners were walking away from the club after many years. In that makeover, the vibrant waves of the historic location’s sign were left intact, but it remains to be seen what the next chapter of the Yale involves. The building itself dates back to 1889.

Movieland Arcade

movieland-arcade
Jhayne via Flickr

It’s not just the lettering on the Movieland Arcade sign that’s a bit blue. Video games, movies, and an old school peep show are what the longstanding business are all about.

Magee Grocery

magee-grocery
Mark Faviell via Flickr

The darling apple neon sign at Magee Grocery came along four years after the Kerrisdale market opened in 1944. At one time, this neighbourhood store was considered the top independent grocer in Vancouver.

The Sylvia Hotel

sylvia-hotel
Sylvia Hotel in 2009 (Charity Works Photo Book Editor via Flickr)

Perched on some stellar real estate overlooking English Bay, the stellar Sylvia Hotel dates back to 1912. Boasting the city’s first cocktail bar, the hotel remains a local treasure, and its charming neon perfectly cheery amidst all the lush vines on the building’s exterior.

Stanley Theatre

stanley-theatre
Alejandro Mejía Greene via Flickr

The Stanley Theatre first opened as a movie house in 1930, ultimately being run by the Famous Players chain, who sold off the venue in 1991. The Stanley was converted to a stage theatre, and is now home to Arts Club productions.

Granville Island

Granville-Island-sign
ashley_murphy via Flickr

It’s a pretty basic font and not much to note for its design, but the big letters welcoming visitors to Vancouver’s Granville Island make for one of the friendliest greetings in the city.

The Orpheum

orpheum-theatre
The Orpheum in 2010 (Jesse via Flickr)

A National Historic site of Cananda, The Orpheum got its start in 1927 as a vaudeville house, and transitioned to showing films. Rescued by a public “Save the Orpheum” campaign in the early 1970s, the theatre was taken over by the City of Vancouver, and remains one of the city’s civic venues. Mogul Jim Pattison donated the Orpheum’s neon sign in the seventies.

Daytons Boots

boots-by-dayton
Roland Tanglao via Flickr

Since 1946, Daytons has been making handcrafted leather boots and selling them in their shop on East Hastings. Their neon boot-shaped sign is as old as the shop.

Featured image: Close up of the Stanley Theatre sign by j f grossen via Flickr

Around the Web

About the author

Author Avatar
Lindsay William-Ross Lindsay is a Senior Editor at Vancity Buzz, and currently runs the site's Food section. A fourth generation Vancouverite, she spent the last two decades in Los Angeles, where she was EIC of the city's top blog, earned her MA, attended culinary school, and was an English professor (among other things). Lindsay's first published piece was December 1980 in The Province; it was her letter to Santa. E-mail: lindsay@vancitybuzz.com
@squashblossom

Facebook Conversations

BACK TO TOP
BACK TO TOP