For the 38th annual year, Canada’s largest Japanese Canadian festival will return to Vancouver in the Powell Street Festival.
Vancouver’s longest running community celebration will focus on the theme of “roots” this year, which entails a presentation of artists “who either have a strong grounding in the greater artistic community or are laying the foundations of a new vision.”
This year’s look at the history and culture of Japan promises traditional performances and demonstrations, including taiko drumming, sumo wrestling, martial arts, bonsai and ikebana, folk and modern dance, alternative pop/rock/urban music, historical walking tours, and of course a variety of Japanese foods and crafts.
All Vancouverites are encouraged to come down to enjoy the celebrations!
Powell Street Festival 2014
Dates and times:
August 1 at 8 p.m.
August 2 & 3 from 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- August 1:
- Electric Owl – 926 Main Street
- August 2-3:
- Oppenheimer Park – 400 Powell Street
- Firehall Arts Centre, 280 E. Cordova Street
- Vancouver Japanes Language School and Japanese Hall – 475 Alexander Street
- Vancouver Buddhist Temple – 220 Jackson Avenue.
- Centre A – 229 E. Georgia Street.
Price: All daytime events are free
Featured Image: Powell Street Festival Society