It’s hard to find a food item that better celebrates the bounty that is BC berries than a good old fashioned pie. So in the spirit of the season, The Oak Street Farmers’ Market will be holding their inaugural Pie Fest, featuring a baking competition and a pie-eating contest, this Wednesday, July 2.
Amateur and professional bakers alike are welcome to submit a pie for consideration, though all entrants and their pies must follow the rules:
1) Must be made with local BC grown Berries such as: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries
2) Must include low-risk ingredients. Sorry, No cream or dairy pies
3) All Pies must be made from scratch
4) Must provide a list of ingredients & label bottom of pie dish with name & phone number
5) Pies must be dropped off for judging by Jenell Parsons of The Pie Hole by 5:45pm
However, if it’s pie eating you’re better at, you can put your appetite to the test, and vie for one of three spots at the table for a timed pie-eating competition. Event organizers will be selecting three people from entries submitted via social media, and the chow down gets underway at the market at 6:15 p.m. sharp. Earn an entry apiece for tweeting “Pie Me! @oakstreetmarket July 2nd Pie Chowdown#yvrpiefest” and for liking Oak Street Farmers’ Market Facebook page and sharing their Pie post.
Just a word of caution: If you’re planning on entering or attending, you’ll probably want to avoid watching the 1986 movie “Stand By Me.” (Right?)
Photo by Andrew Malone/Flickr