Sole Food Farms is a Vancouver urban agriculture company that grows artisan fruits and vegetables on land in the Downtown Eastside that would otherwise be vacant or discarded. Sole Food not only brings a local, organic food source into the city, but they also empower people living on the downtown east side by providing jobs, training and inclusion in a supportive community of farmers and food lovers.
Sole Food produce is top notch. Some of the best chefs in Vancouver are sourcing their produce from Sole Foods Farm to use in their restaurants, including Hawksworth, Wildebeest, the Acorn, and Burdock and Co. In fact, Sole Food just wont Producer / Supplier of the Year in the 2014 Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards.
Sole Food was founded in 2009 and is now growing more vegetables than they’re able to sell. They’ve started an Indiegogo campaign with the goal of raising $100,000 to open two store front locations – a produce stand on Granville Island and a local organic corner store at their urban orchard site on Main and Terminal.
If you believe in supporting the local food movement then consider donating to their campaign. To make the decision to donate even easier, Sole Food has created generous perks to give you that extra incentive:
- Featured: for $250 you get two tickets to a harvest long table dinner at the farm prepared by some of Vancouver’s best chefs inspired by simple, elegant, farm-grown ingredients.
- For $10 you get a hug from a farmer
- For $25 you get a Sole Food tote bag
- For $50 you get a $25 produce gift card
- For $100 you get a $50 produce gift card
- For $1000 you get a Community Support Agriculture (CSA) share (value: $550)
- For $5000 you get a Private Orchard Dinner for 8 people prepared by some of Vancouver’s best chefs.
- For $10,000 you get an organic farm retreat at Foxglove Farm on Saltspring Island
- For $20,000 you get a farm retreat and spa package – an all-expenses paid trip to Foxglove Farm, including accommodations, a team of personal chefs preparing beautiful meals with local ingredients, and two massage treatments at Hastings House Wellspring Spa.
The fundraiser ends on June 1, 2014. Help support Sole Foods reach their goal!