ICBC has released a list of Metro Vancouver’s most dangerous shopping centre parking lots for pedestrians.
The statistics are based on a five-year period between 2008 to 2012 and total to 16,128 crashes at 12 major shopping centres and 1,084 injured victims including 129 pedestrians.
Metropolis at Metrotown ranks at the top of the list and accounts for approximately a quarter of the statistics. However, it is also by far the region’s most-visited shopping centre with 10,000+ visits per day and is Canada’s second largest mall.
The data was released by ICBC in light of November 22’s pedestrian accident at Meadowtown Centre in Pitt Meadows involving a 2-year old boy and his mother. The toddler did not survive the accident.
Top 12 of the most dangerous shopping centre parking lots in Metro Vancouver
1. Metropolis at Metrotown in Burnaby
- 3,590 crashes with 231 injured, including 32 pedestrians
2. Coquitlam Centre in Coquitlam
- 1,610 crashes with 99 injured, including 17 pedestrians
3. Park Royal Mall in West Vancouver
- 2,490 crashes with 182 injured, including 17 pedestrians
4/ Richmond Centre in Richmond
- 1,820 crashes with 64 injured, including 15 pedestrians
5/ Guildford Mall in Surrey
- 1,840 crashes with 134 injured, including 14 pedestrians
6/ Willowbrook Mall in Langley
- 1,540 crashes with 160 injured, including 11 pedestrians
7. Oakridge Mall in Vancouver
- 1,490 crashes with 89 injured, including 10 pedestrians
8. Brentwood Mall in Burnaby
- 1,090 crashes with 53 injured, including five pedestrians
9. Yaohan Centre in Richmond
- 352 crashes with 13 injured, including four pedestrians
10. Meadowtown Centre in Pitt Meadows
- 156 crashes with 50 injured, including four pedestrians
11. Morgan Crossing in Surrey
- 118 crashes with nine injured
12. Seven Oaks Mall in Abbotsford
- 32 crashes with 0 injured
Featured Image: Fuyu Yu / Shutterstock