There have been major changes brewing over the past few weeks at the CKNW and TEAM 1040 sports departments.
The following are the list of changes that are likely to occur or have been announced at CKNW or Team 1040.
- CKNW will be, for all intents and purposes, eliminating their extended sports coverage as both Sportstalk hosted by Dan Russell and the David Pratt show will no longer be on the air in the fall.
- It is expected that David Pratt will still do the morning sports segments but there are rumblings which say there is a chance he maybe headed back to Team 1040.
- As of right now it is expected that the five-minute morning and afternoon sports segments will be covered by David Pratt and Dave Sheldon. Stu Walters be the station’s only sports reporter.
- Long time member of the sports department, Rick Quinton was let go in July.
- Though nothing has been formally stated by Team 1040, it is widely believed that the Scotty and Company show will be no more as of early September. It is expected that Bro Jake, formerly of Rock 101 will take over the morning slot as of September 9.
- There are significant aftershocks associated with the cancelling of the Scotty and Company show. The first of which is that Paul Chapman will no longer be associated with the morning slot as of Aug 9. Additionally, long time Team 1040 producer Paul DeBron who formerly produced Pratt and Taylor and was currently at the helm on Scotty and Company was let go August 6.
- The firings did not stop at DeBron as 1040 talent Tyler Green, John Hadley and Joe Leary were also let go on August 6.
- Speculation is rampant that Scott Rintoul will be moved to one of the afternoon slots on the radio station.
- Perhaps, the most intriguing piece of tidbit regarding the various changes at 1040 is the rumour that David Pratt may re-join forces with Team 1040. If he were to join, it is speculated that he would be a part of the morning slot with Bro Jake. It is important to note that at this point Pratt jumping ship is a mere rumour but it is one that has been bantered about on Twitter and could potentially occur.
UPDATE: Jim Mullin is reporting that Dave Pratt will be indeed joining Bro Jake for the morning slot on Team 1040