It’s cosplay time! Anime Revolution 2013 is a 3-day convention hosted at the Vancouver Convention Centre that celebrates one of Japan’s greatest exports: Japanese animation. It’s the city’s largest and fastest growing anime convention.
The event offers a wide and numerous range of activities, from costume play (a.k.a. cosplay), exhibits, art, comics and animation, dance, gaming, cultural displays, musical performances, vendors, industry panels and so much more. Whether you’re a diehard fan of Japanese anime or looking to relive your childhood, this fun-loaded convention promises to entertain.
Last year, 5,000+ attendees attended the event and more than 8,000 are expected to attend the 2013 convention, which kicks off this Friday, August 16 and runs throughout the weekend until Sunday, August 18 at the East Building (Canada Place) of the Vancouver Convention Centre.
Anime Revolution 2013 promises to be an action packed event throughout each of its 3-days. Click here for the full program schedule, but for a taste here’s some of this year’s most anticipated events:
- The opportunity to meet Jessica Nigiri. In addition to her professional modelling and charity work, she is one of the most famous costume players (cosplay) in the world. It all began with her stunning appearance as Pikachu at San Diego’s 2009 Comic Con.
- This one is an annual favourite with more than a thousand people dressing up every year: dress up as an anime/manga/comic/game character and strut your stuff for fun and the Cosplay Contest’s prizes! There are two parts! Walk ons, for those who just want to show off their fantastic fashion pieces, and the skit part where you can entertain the audience with dramatic flair or comedic wit! Everything from Japanese School Girls to Robots and Super heroes!
- Get autographs from some big name Japanese anime voice actors, including Toru Furuya (among many others) who voiced characters in Sailor Moon, Gundam, and Dragon Ball.
- Watch and compete in Anime Revolution IDOL 2013! However, there’s a catch. Contestants must only sing Japanese songs that first appeared in anime series, movies or video games.
- Take a look at the season’s hottest Lolita fashions with Angelic Pretty, a Japanese fashion company. You might be wondering what’s Lolita: it’s a Japanese fashion subculture that’s largely influenced by Victorian-era clothing.
- Rave-volution Dance! It’s Anime Revolution’s annual dance, and it’ll be bigger than ever for this year. MC DayDreamer will be in charge of the dance and he has personally hand picked a very specific talent roster of DJs for this years dance at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
- Strut your stuff at the Swimsuit Contest! It’s that time of year again to flaunt what you’ve got! Come check out this perennial favourite where contestants strut their stuff on stage in an all out battle to see who will win Judges’ and Crowd favourites! Featuring a Talent portion, Q&A period and, most importantly, swimsuits! This 18+ contest/show is sure to get you into the summer spirit!
Demand is high locally for such events that celebrate Japanese animation and cosplay. Anime Revolution comes on the heels of last weekend’s highly attended Pokemon World Championships 2013 at the East Building (Canada Place) of the convention centre. This weekend of dress-up will also be complemented by Saturday’s much anticipated Zombie Walk 2013 down Robson and Denman Streets.
Anime Revolution 2013 Vancouver
Dates: Friday, August 16 to Sunday, August 18
Venue: East Building (Canada Place), Vancouver Convention Centre
Cost: Friday Day Pass ($55); Saturday Day Pass ($60); Sunday Day Pass ($50); 3-Day Pass ($75). Child admission rates are lower. See all rates.
Featured image: Ed Ng Photography