On Feb. 7, 2013, LatinCouver hosted their first trade conference, ExpoPlaza Latina, to promote bi-lateral trade across the Americas. Six hundred attendees listened to 31 speakers and four expert panel discussions. Eight consuls attended from across the Americas, including US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil and more.
The conference had aimed its focus on three key industries: mining, clean technology and construction. In Latin America and Western Canada, these industries are thriving and will continue to advance. During the sessions, many different areas were covered; the topics that were discussed included:
- Lessons to learn from sustainable cities (Curitiba, Mexico, Vancouver)
- How to fill the labour gap for mining and construction industries in Canada
- Using NAFTA to expand your business
- Sustainable economic development in mining
- Cultural differences in business practices
The main motive for this event was to broaden the horizons of investors about the benefits and future of Latin America. Through their elaborate discussions and presentations, they have successfully portrayed the potential that Latin America has. Because of our access to many resources and platforms available, Vancouver is a great base for people to do business and invest in Latin America.