One of my favourite places to sit down, relax, and eat is Thierry. Located in Downtown Vancouver, Thierry is a modernistic chocolate patisserie cafe, that serves mouthwatering cakes and rainbows of macarons. This cafe is truly magical as there is always an ongoing line of customers.
Sometimes when one has been shopping in Downtown Vancouver too long, a little dessert is one of the best fixes. Thierry is a cafe that offers the comforts a tired shopper needs. Upon entering its contemporary cafe, one would usually see plenty of people, a lineup, and a display of cakes and a section of colourful macarons.
The macarons are priced at $1.95 for one, 7 for $13.45, or 12 for $21.95. After choosing seven macarons to go, they are put in a beautiful hexagonal-rectangular box with a sturdy paper bag. Packaging really completes the look of macarons.
Fruit flavoured macarons had a buttercream centre, where the other macarons had a ganache centre. Here is a breakdown on the fillings of each macaron:
- The Mint macaron has a ganache filling made with white chocolate, cream, cocoa butter, butter, and fresh mint leaves.
- The Macaron du jour is Cherry Amaretto. It has a buttercream filling made with whole egg, egg yolk, sugar, butter, and amaretto.
- The Chocolate Caramel macaron has a ganache filling made with sugar, cream, cocoa butter, and milk chocolate.
- The Lychee macaron has a buttercream filling made with whole egg, egg yolk, sugar, butter, and lychee puree.
- The Chocolate Pistachio macaron has a ganache filling made with white chocolate, cream, cocoa butter, butter, and pistachio paste.
- The Gianduja macaron is a chocolate hazelnut flavour. It has a ganache filling made with white chocolate, cream, cocoa butter, butter, and gianduja paste.
- The Raspberry macaron has a buttercream filling made with whole egg, egg yolk, sugar, butter.
The best selling macaron is the salted caramel macaron, which unfortunately, was not on display that day. The Macaron du jour is for special occasions and it is not always available.
The Raspberry macaron had raspberry paste within the shell, which I found was creative and improved the quality of the macaron.
As a lover of Ferrero Rocher chocolate and Kinder Bueno, the taste of the Gianduja macaron reminded me of how delicious chocolate and hazelnut is.
The Macaron du jour, which is the Cherry Amaretto macaron, had gold dust on top. Within the shell was also a cherry.
The macarons at Thierry were fairly large. Some people may like bite sized, mini macarons, but these macarons can be savoured longer since I can finish these with three to four bites. Additionally, it had a very chewy texture, and a fairly sturdy shell. Crumbs need not be feared!
A visit to Downtown Vancouver is not complete without a stop at Thierry! The sight of the food alone will draw you in.
1059 Alberni Street (Thurlow/Burrard)
Vancouver, BC, V6E 1A1
(604) 608 6870
Monday to Friday: 7am- midnight
Weekends + Holidays: 8am- midnight
Credit for ingredient information: Alexandra Shaw, Communications Associate
Pictures and Article by: Whitney Hong, (@wheetnee) Blogger of WandsAndPliers