From chowmein to congee to dumpling–we love it all. So much, that we felt it was our duty to share our favorite Chinese steals with all of you.
Chowmenow.com & Vancity Buzz are happy to share our 10 fav $5 (or under) Chinese Food:
1. O’Tray Noodle– $3.75 No.2 Soft Tofu Soup
Rich, hearty, yet somehow delicate—this soup has it all, and all is just $3.75, my friends.
Address: #2285, 8181 Cambie Road in Richmond, BC
2. Saboten Restaurant- $3.75 Tenderloin Katsu Sandwich
The crispy yet juicy pork makes this sandwich a strong competitor. Each bite is memorable.
Address: 3182 4151 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond, BC
3. Gain Wah— $4 Lemongrass Pork Chop Noodle Soup
Perfectly cooked noodles with tender pork and a well seasoned broth for just 4 bucks. Can we say bang for the buck!?
Address: 218 Keefer St, Vancouver (Chinatown)
4. Shanghai Goodies Parker Place Mall Food Court— $4 Tan Tan Noodles
The tan tan noodles at Shanghai Goodies are properly cooked and lathered in flavorful sauces –such as peanut sauce, and spicy red chilli sauce.
Address: 4231 Hazelbridge Way #136 Richmond, BC
5. Kent’s Kitchen (steam rice w/ 2 toppings $4.50, Chow mein 2/ two topping $4.75)
It’s dirt cheap Chinese food, and it hits the spot nicely. Do keep in mind though that Kent’s is not a hidden gem! The locals are well aware of the good food at cheap prices. So aware that there is in fact a ticketed number system!
Address: 232 Keefer Street, Vancouver (Chinatown)
6. Kwong Chow Congee & Noodle House –$4.65 Wonton Noodle Soup
The Wonton Noodle Soup at the Kwong Chow means business. The broth is clean and flavorful– allowing the wontons to properly show off their talent. Each sip is pure bliss.
Address: 3136 Main Street, Vancouver (Mount Pleasant)
7. Lin Chinese restaurant –$4.99 Xiao Long Bao (Shanghai juicy pork dumpling)
Take a bite of one of these dumplings, and boom– you have a mouth explosion of different juices and flavors.
Address: 1537 West Broadway, Vancouver
8. Chinese Restaurant UBC Village basement—3 items plus rice/noodle $5 (after 8 pm)
This little family run Chinese restaurant is a serious gift to the UBC students. For just five bucks you get 3 items plus rice or noodle!
9. $5 Spicy Deep Fried Squid from the Richmond Night Market
These are an amazing snack. Better than chips I would say. They are crunchy, spicy and perfectly salty. Oh, and quite filling!
10. Congee Noodle House $5 Preserved Duck Egg & Salted Pork Congee
Congee Noodle house has great, well—you guessed it, congee! The preserved duck egg and salted pork congee is thick, cremy and well seasoned. It warms your belly and soothes your throat. It’s perfect for a rainy Vancouver day.
Address: 141 East Broadway, Vancouver (Mount Pleasant)
To find more $5 meals–follow Chowmenow through :
See our other Cheap Eats: