Today is the biggest game to be ever played in Vancouver. Where will you be? As I write this people are already funneling into Vancouver. You know you’re in tough for finding a spot when even the city’s ‘breastaraunts’ (Cactus, Earls etc…) see line-ups 4 hours before game time. If you are one of the many that aren’t watching it at home and want to partake in the atmosphere downtown here is some general info to know.
- Just like the Olympics many places are charging cover to enter. Your best bet is to leave work early.
- Liquor stores downtown will once again be closing at 4pm so if you’re watching it in your downtown condo get your booze early.
- Buses will run an hour later if necessary.
- The Bay Downtown will be open til 11pm should the Canucks win. They will be selling commemorative Stanley Cup tees.
- Georgia and Hamilton street will close at noon today.
Locations to watch the game:
1. The Big Screen: There’s one on Georgia Street, Hamilton and also at Canada Place. The best bets are Georgia and Hamilton streets as that is where the atmosphere is the greatest.
2. Yaletown: Mainland street is full of pubs and restaurants. Many are charging cover. Best bets are The Hub, Charm Modern Thai, Earls, The Keg or Yaletown Brewhouse. Walk up and down the street you’ll find a spot.
3. Granville Street: The best place to watch on Granville (besides the Commodore Ballroom) is Forum Sports Bar. Wall to wall screens. Venue and a number of other great bars line the street so take your pick.
4. The Rest of Downtown. Walk the streets of the business district, West End, Coal Harbour and you’ll find many bars, restaurants. Shark Club and Mills Bistro come to mind. There are many establishments out there just come early.
Win or lose it will be an unforgettable night. Go Canucks Go!
If you know of other places to watch the game feel free to add it via comment.
Image: Jeremy Lim