As summer heats up so do the festivals in Vancouver. This weekend features not only the beginning of the Jazz Festival but also Carnaval 2011 on Granville. Latincouver.ca and the City of Vancouver will bring the colourful Latin American heritage to the streets on June 26th, and everyone is invited to attend as the event is FREE!
From 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. the city will close Granville Street (between Smithe and Dunsmuir) to showcase the many flavours and sounds of the Latin American culture.
Here are some of the activities planned for the day:
- A soccer street tournament, with the participation of the Vancouver WhiteCaps FC and Mayor Gregor Robertson as one of the players.
- An authentic Latin American open-air food court and a marketplace
- Salsa and Zumba street-dancing
- Performances by Rio Samaya, Aquizamin Garcia, Liliam Santamaria, Sergio Flores, Coral Fusion Latina, Tanga, Mexico Vivo,Dominicanisima and Spanish Passion’s Flamenco Latino.
- Games and activities for children
Furthermore, just like everything in Vancouver these days Carnaval del Sol is an eco-friendly event, and David Suzuki will be a guest speaker.