This Canada Day visit Granville Island, as the city’s arts and culture mecca throws what will surely be the best birthday party of the season. With free jazz performances courtesy of Coastal Jazz and Blues Society, a festive parade, flying acrobats, face painting, delightful roving characters, and much more, this is an action-packed day that everyone can enjoy. On July 1st make Granville Island your home base and celebrate Canada from the most scenic seat in town.
Fun and free festivities abound, including:
- The Canada Day Parade featuring The Carnival Band
- spectacular stilt and lion dancers
- The Craft Association of BC Workshops, where a wide array of crafts will be showcased, including stained glass windows, paper marbling, polymer clay sculpture and basket weaving
- The Kids Market, where children can invoke their inner artist, with activities such as sand art, henna tattoos and balloon twisting
- Voiliers Spectacle — on a voyage around the world, French acrobats Franck and Delphine are sailing into Vancouver to present two unusual silent productions, using mast, boom, ridding and other parts of their sailboat as stage to exhibit their acrobatics prowess, with two shows at 5:30 pm and 7:30 pm.
- Adding to the day’s colourful entertainment line-up, local performers will be popping up throughout the Island.
Come early and start your morning off right with The Truly Canadian Pancake Breakfast at the Dockside Restaurant in the Granville Island Hotel. Between 7:30 am and 11 am enjoy a hearty pancake feast. $1 from each meal benefits Canuck Place. If you’re looking for something different visit the Lobsterman Cookout, where folks wearing clothes representing Canadian pride will enjoy a special discount on lobster, 10 am – 5:30 pm. Or enjoy your favourite dish out on the Bridges patio until midnight. For those with a serious sweet tooth, stop by A la Mode, inside the Public Market, for a pie made from six different flavoured slices – a real ‘Canadian’ pie.
Granville Island is one of this city’s gems and on Canada day it’s always buzzing with activity and is a must see.