What you have all been waiting for an actual training session that is going to get you the most bang for your buck! Before you read please take into consideration the following:
- See my article on Structuring Your Training Session
- Warmup is vital to achieving your best during your actual training session, do not breeze through it
- If you don’t know how to do an exercise properly with great technique learn how to do it first without resistance or seek professional assistance
- If you don’t know what something means ask me, firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOCUS on every single rep of an exercise, treat each rep as its own entity
- Pain is an indicator to stop, but don’t confuse it with momentary fatigue
- Get out of your comfort zone
One final consideration on selecting the right load and effort for each exercise. For each set of an exercise you should feel momentary fatigue, which means that you aren’t completely exhausted (couldn’t do another rep) but pretty close to that point.
There are two ways to address this; if you are asked to do 10 reps you need to choose a weight that you could do 12, maybe 13 perfect reps and that would be it, or you are going to get pretty close to that limit by going to fatigue-2. Fatigue-2 means that you are going to attempt to do as many reps of an exercise as you can but you are going to stop 2 short of that limit, for example if 10 is the most pushups you are able to do than you would stop at 8. It will take some time to figure out the exact load that will work for you, always err on the lighter side.
“The VancityBuzz Burner”
Warmup: Complete each exercise in order, take short breaks between sets. 10-15minutes or more if needed.
2 sets of 6-8 Pike Arches
*Include quick myofascial rolling where needed*
2 sets of 5 Broomstick Chest Openers
2 sets of 20 See The Wall Squats
2 sets of 12 Alternating Forward Lunges
2 sets of 12 Alternating Lateral Lunges
Work: A complex is just a mini circuit so move from exercise to exercise with minimal rest and at the completion of a set of a complex take 30-60seconds rest before starting again. 20-35minutes.
Complex1: Complete 5 sets
Deadlift – 10reps
Pushups – Fatigue-2
Split Stance 1Arm Row – 10reps each arm
Complex2: Complete 5 sets
Split Squat – 10reps each side
Lo to High Chop – 10reps
Pickup Press – 10reps
Cool Down: After you have completed the “work” do some walking/biking and some light stretching for tight areas. 5-10minutes.
Recovery: 1-2 hours post training but preferably right before bed perform complete myofascial rolling and stretching for your entire body while paying extra attention to tight or sore areas. 5-20minutes or more if needed.
This training session can be used for all levels of exercisers with slight adjustments where necessary. Remember to always consult a physician before starting any new exercise program and happy training!
Josh Neumann, BHK, PTS, TSCC-1
Win 1 of 3 free personal training session from StayFitAnywhere! To gain an entry:
- Comment below on which exercise you would like to see Josh do a video blog on.
- Like StayFitAnywhere Facebook Fan Page
- Re-tweet the following:
- I am learning to stay fit thru @VancityBuzz http://bit.ly/hgaGr8 RT & FOLLOW @StayFitAnywhere to win a free personal training session!
Each option is one entry. You can enter through all three options. Contest closes Jan 16, midnight.